The Center for Economic Growth
The Capital Region is a 1.1-million-strong, eight-county region where the combination of affordability, livability, accessibility, and R&D capability is making it one of the nation’s next major innovation growth centers. The region spans 5,336 square miles, an area larger than Connecticut. In addition to being the home of New York’s capital city (Albany), the region is a major talent generator with 24 higher education institutions. Housing the intersection of two major interstate highways (I-87 and I-90) and two deep-water ports – plus with New York City, Boston, and Montreal a three-hour drive away – the region is the epicenter of the Northeast.
Manufacturing and technology have been driving the Capital Region’s economy for more than a century, and they continue to run smart and strong here. Local companies are able to retain their competitive advantages in the global marketplace.
Through apprenticeships, these companies provide real-life experience for job seekers looking to advance their careers. We aim to drive the region’s workforce development through our apprenticeship program, resulting in a beneficial situation for both individuals and companies.
Registered Apprenticeship Programs offer proven workforce solutions including:
- Increased retention of top talent
- Training the next generation of worker
- Reduced hiring costs
- Decreased new hire turnover
- Increased diversity
- Creating a pipeline of talent
What To Expect/ What We Offer
We are your guide to NYS Registered Apprenticeship programs. As a group sponsor, we have experience with program development across the manufacturing and IT sectors. As MIAP members, we leverage the experiences of programs across the state to provide seamless support and guidance to our signatories. This includes:
- Program management and adherence to policies and procedures
- Registration of apprentices, new trades, and other program expansion
- Coordination for Related Instruction
- Access and coordination of funding opportunities including tax credits, grants, and wage reimbursement programs
Our region is rich in education institutions. These partners provide workforce training and related technical instruction for apprentices in the Capital Region.
- SUNY Adirondack Community College (SUNY ADK)
- Clarkson University
- Columbia-Greene Community College
- Hudson Valley Community College (HVCC)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
- SUNY Schenectady County Community College (SUNY Schenectady)
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute
- Union College
- University at Albany